Saturday, October 26, 2019

The Printing Process (PrePress)


This is my fourth week at my internship with Prisma and I have learned many things that I had no clue about. When we all see a flyer, magazine, or brochure; most of us think of it as a piece of paper that will usually end up in the trash or the recycling bin. However, I believe that the majority doesn't think about the process that is involved when producing that magazine or brochure. The process that takes place before the final printed product is produced is known as pre-press. The pre-press process can involve designing the images that are to be printed (graphic design). It also involves printing multiple proofs; some in low resolution and others in high resolution. This week I have been working on learning another area of the pre-press processes, this area involves printing the plates that will be used to print thousands of flyers, brochures, or magazines. In the photo you see that I am waiting for the plate to finish printing. These plates are thin sheets of aluminum that are placed inside a massive thermal printer. When these plates are done printing we need to be very careful when handling them because a single scratch can ruin the entire image. 














#StemW4SMCCF19

1 comment:

  1. The Prepress room was pretty interesting to see when I was there and I had a lot to learn just from seeing how this worked. It was a good experience to see how everything got prepared before the project was fully approved. It seems like you are having a fun time there.
    #StemW4SMCCF19

    ReplyDelete